Who We Are
Home | Who We Are
• We will never share your email address, phone number, cell phone number or financial information unless required by law. more >
• Any information you choose to provide on petitions or action alerts may become part of the public record. more >
• We may occasionally share donor mailing addresses with like-minded organizations. more info, or to opt-out >
Non-Personal Information When you visit an Alliance website, the Alliance automatically collects information about your internet connection via a third party provider (currently Google Analytics), including but not limited to: • Domain Name • IP Address • Date and Time visited • The pages of our web site that you visited
This information does not identify you personally to the Alliance or the third party provider. We use this information to monitor the effectiveness of the web site and to consider potential improvements to the site.
The Alliance will use the information that you provide to send acknowledgement letters, donation receipt letters, and information about the Alliance as appropriate. The Alliance may also use your contact information to get in touch with you if and when necessary. If contact information is provided for an individual through the Tell-A-Friend feature of an Alliance site, the information is stored solely for the purpose of sending a one-time email inviting them to visit the site.
Credit card information that is collected is used only to either charge the donation or to make a purchase, as indicated by the individual entering the credit card information into our system.
Opt Out The Alliance gives users the following options for removing their information from our database to not receive future communications: • E-mail us at email@example.com
• Send mail to: Alliance for the Great Lakes, 150 N. Michigan Ave., Suite 700, Chicago, IL 60601 • Call us at 312-939-0838 • Click the “unsubscribe” link in your email and tell us you want to be removed from the Alliance’s email list.
Change/Modify This site gives users the following options for changing and modifying information previously provided: • E-mail us at firstname.lastname@example.org
• Send mail to: Alliance for the Great Lakes, 150 N. Michigan Ave., Suite 700, Chicago, IL 60601 • Call us at 312-939-0838 • Click the “unsubscribe” link in your email to change which types of email you would like to receive. Click the “update your contact information” link to update your contact information.
Anti-Spam Policy We do not send spam. We only send e-mails to people who have a relationship with our organizations or to whom we reasonably analyze may want to have a relationship with our organization. This relationship can start in the following ways. The individual: • Opted onto one of our e-mail lists or a third-party e-mail list at either one of our sites or one of our partner sites, or through another mechanism for collecting email addresses. • Made a donation to one of our programs. • Purchased a ticket for one of our events. • Entered a drawing or contest either online or in-person at a live event
Sharing Information with Third Parties
When you sign up for Alliance email, volunteer, or purchase a product, the Alliance will NOT give, share, rent or sell the information you provide through this website. We may provide your information to trusted service providers who are contracted by the Alliance to fulfill our mission (e.g., to provide specific products or services you’ve requested, mailing our quarterly newsletter, etc.). However, these organizations work with us under confidentiality agreements and do not have any independent right to share your information. We may provide organizations and/or individuals with your information as required by law.
• Information Collected through Action Alerts, Letters and Petitions. For petitions, letters and actions that you've signed or completed related to Great Lakes issues, regulations or legislation, we treat your name, city, state, country and comments as public information. For example, we may provide compilations of petitions, with your comments, to the president and legislators, to other decision-makers, or to the press. Unless you have requested to be shown as "anonymous," this information may also be visible on our website and/or any related government website. We will not make your street address publicly available, but we may transmit it to members of Congress, to other public officials, or to other entities as part of a petition to validate your signature. We may also make your comments, along with your first name, city, state and country, available to the press and public online.
• Donor Information. The Alliance will never share a donor's email address or financial information, such as credit card data with any other party. However, the Alliance recognizes its donors by level of giving in print and/or in electronic publications. Donors who wish not to be recognized and/or remain anonymous must inform the Alliance by phone, email, or in writing. The Alliance occasionally provides names and mailing addresses of our donors to other like-minded organizations to expand the reach of our message. If you do not want your name used in this fashion, you may opt out by sending an email to the Alliance’s annual giving department at email@example.com or by calling 312-445-9736.
Protecting your personal information online is vital to the Alliance. Browser Encryption, Username and Password, as well as our Network Security and Monitoring, all ensure the confidentiality of transactions and other information shared with the Alliance via our web site.
The Alliance's websites are designed to give you control over the privacy of your credit card information when conducting an online transaction with us. We offer industry standard security measures available through your browser called SSL (secure socket layer) encryption on Alliance websites that collect credit card information. When you place an order or make a donation via an Alliance website with SSL, you will be asked for certain personal and credit card information to process your order. The credit card information is sent electronically to the Alliance via SSL encryption to complete the processing of your order.
When purchasing a product or making a donation, security measures are in place to protect against the loss, misuse and alteration of the information under our control. Our shopping cart is run on a secure server. Electronic purchases and donations should be made via the secure server rather than other methods such as e-mail.
Please note that SSL is NOT provided on Alliance websites that solely collect information that is not related to an online transaction, including the Adopt–a–Beach™ website and thisismywater.com. These websites do not collect credit card information, but do collect names, email addresses and other information. If you do not feel comfortable sending your name, email address or other similar information through a website that does not have SSL, do not submit it via these unencrypted websites.
The Alliance welcomes users of all ages. Because we are a nonprofit organization, we are not required to comply with the Children’s Online Privacy Protection Act (COPPA). However, we strongly encourage users ages 13 years and under to use our services only with parental consent.
The Alliance's various websites contain links to other external websites. Neither the Alliance's websites -- including, but not limited to, greatlakes.org, takeaction.greatlakes.org, greatlakesadopt.org and thisismywater.com -- nor the Alliance, are responsible for the privacy practices or the content of such external websites.
While we use industry-standard efforts such as Secure Socket Layers and firewalls to safeguard the confidentiality of your personal information, “perfect security” does not exist on the Internet. Even though we are giving our best effort to protect your privacy, we simply cannot guarantee that some third party will never unlawfully intercept transmissions of private information. Such a security breach remains a possibility despite every precaution, and so you are advised to use caution and common sense to protect yourself and the privacy of your information.
This policy was last modified on July 23, 2013.
Alliance for the Great Lakes150 N. Michigan Ave., Suite 700Chicago, IL 60601(312) firstname.lastname@example.org
© 2002-2014 Alliance for the Great Lakes. All Rights Reserved.
150 N. Michigan Ave., Suite 700, Chicago, IL 60601312-939-0838